Department of Cryobiochemistry
The Department of Cryobiochemistry was established in 1972. The first head of the department was Professor Apollon Bilous (1929–1999), who became the founder of the scientific school devoted to the biochemistry of cell membrane structures under the effects of low temperature. Scientific achievements of Prof. Bilous were published in more than 300 scientific papers. He was the co-author of 15 monographs and 18 inventions. For his scientific achievements Prof. Bilous was awarded with the medal "For Valiant Work", Diploma of the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, he received the State Prize of Science and Technology of Ukraine. Such outstanding scientists Luhovy Volodymyr (1938-2006) and Kravchenko Lidiya (1946–2001) worked at the department. From 1999 till now, the department is headed by Prof. Aleksander Petrenko. The department has tight connections with the Department of Biochemistry of Kharkov National University, and participates in the bachelor and master programs of the University and other higher education institutions from Kharkiv region.
Former graduate students of the department currently work in laboratories in Canada (Shanina Irina), Great Britain (Tarasov Andrey), Germany (Mutsenko Vitaly), Czech Republic (Petrenko Yuri), China (Somov Alexander), Russia (Lebedinsky Alexander), USA (Zaykov Vedeney).
Prof. Alexander Petrenko
- Isolation, cultivation and study of the properties of stem cells:
- Multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) from various sources (bone marrow, adipose tissue, adult dermis, tooth embryo pulp, placenta, fetal tissues)
- Neural stem cells
- In vitro and in vivo study of biological properties and therapeutic potential of stem and progenitor cell bioregulators obtained by culturing MSCs from various sources
- Three-dimensional (3D) cultivation of MSCs in alginate microspheres and macroporous matrices, creation of bioengineering structures
- Cultivation of MSCs in the composition of spheroids
- Cultivation of MSCs in alginate microspheres
- Cultivation of MSCs in macroporous matrices of natural origin and artificially created from different materials (alginate, collagen, gelatin, chitin, chitosan, etc.).
- Development of technologies for storage of stem cells both as a cell suspension and inside three-dimensional structures;
- Cryopreservation using slow freezing and absence of xenogeneic components)
- Cryopreservation of MSCs by vitrification both in suspension and inside three-dimensional structures
- Hypothermic storage of cells and tissue engineered structures
- Experimental stem cell transplantation
- In models of hepatic insufficiency in rats
- In the model of excisive skin wound in mice
- In the model of burns in rats
- In models of spinal cord and brain damages in rats
- In models of gynecological pathology of rats
- Hypothermic storage of isolated liver
- Developing the media for storage of isolated liver
- Optimization of the organ preservation medium using the components affecting mitochondrial function, and including stem cell bioregulators.
- Determining the role of pre-treatment to increase the efficiency of cryopreservation and hypothermic storage of cellular structures of different levels of the organization (№ 184.108.40.206, code, state registration number, code). 2022-2026
- Determination of the main parameters of formation of heterogeneous spheroids from stem / progenitor cells and their osmotic characteristics (№220.127.116.11, code, state registration number, code). 2022-2026
- Bridging the gap between science, education and enterprise in regenerative medicine (Vyšehrad Fund V4RM). 2021-2022
- Cryobiological profile of three-dimensional spheroids of mesenchymal stem cells (joint international research Ukrainian-Czech project) 2021–2022.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- Petrenko Aleksander got the Diploma of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine for significant merits in scientific and pedagogical activities, development of higher education, training of qualified personnel of the NAS of Ukraine and on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (2018), was the laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine in the field of science and technology (2002)
- Sukach Oleksandr was the laureate of the State Prize in the field of biochemistry and molecular biology (1999);
- Ochenashko Olga had the scholarships of the President of Ukraine and the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for young scientists.
- Cherkashina Daria had the scholarships of the President of Ukraine and the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for young scientists.
- Rohulska Olena had the scholarships of the President of Ukraine and the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for young scientists.
- Prokopyuk Volodymyr had the scholarship of the President of Ukraine for young scientists, was awarded by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine for special achievements of youth in the development of Ukraine in the nomination "For scientific achievements"
23, Pereyaslavskaya str., Kharkiv, Ukraine 61016
Institute for Problems of Cryobiology and Cryomedicine of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
Tel: +380 57 373 4143, 373 3807, 373 3039; Fax: +380 57 373 3084